Saturday, August 11, 2012

Dog Days of August Dilemma

O Lord God of my Salvation, I have cried out day and night before you.

Let my prayer come before you; Incline Your ear to my cry.

For my soul is full of troubles, And my life draws near to the grave.

I am counted with those who go down to the pit; I am like a man who has no strength.

Adrift among the dead (Psalm 88:1-5a, NKJV)

This Psalm is titled “A Prayer for Help in Despondency.” It is very easy in this high speed, instantaneous culture to be overwhelmed by the pace and the demands of life. Add to that mix the illusion of community in social media, the unprecedented relentless heat, and the constant refrain of negative political ads bombarding us in this election season it is easy to get despondent just with our natural situation. A survey of the landscape; that is, American Christianity finds a greater zeal to dive into the political posturing but also a retreat and a seeming surrender to the hope and belief that communities such as the inner cities can be transformed from shooting galleries to peaceful spaces.

A person can get despondent if they feel the Creator God and Father of Jesus Christ our Savior seem not to be hearing neither corporate nor personal prayers. But the Good News for the people of faith is that despite the Dog days of August, is that because of the righteousness of Christ whom we are in union with, He has secured this promise for us:

They eyes of the Lord are on the righteous; And His ears are open to our cry (Psalm 34:14, NKJV).

Amen.

Stay prayed up,

Rev. Rodrick Burton

No comments: